Tuesday, November 9, 2010

DC current did not necessarily lose the war.

When you work with alternative energy you tend to work with DC (direct current) and when you store electricity with batteries it's DC. So naturally you power as many things as possible with the DC current. Many installations use DC inverted to AC (at ~10% power loss) and only rarely are alternative, DC appliances or lighting used. I always stress to my customers the importance of DC power use in terms of reliability and overall efficiency. In our house, we are in the process of finalizing our DC wiring, and right now we are working on the DC lighting circuits. For this we are using a centrally located switching control that is operated by a wireless remote. I have used wireless switch controls before with good results, but this time around I am trying a new supplier and I will let you know the results. To be continued...

Until then

-Casey 


1 comment:

  1. Remote switching sounds cool, can't wait to hear how this works out. Thanks for the updates. Keeps me somewhat sane living in this concrete jungle here in Tampa Florida. Been hooked on following you guys since I saw the video of the wood burning truck, that thing is awesome. ofc a lot of the other stuff you folks are doing is awesome as well :) Thanks again for sharing your days, its really nice.

    ReplyDelete