Thursday, January 13, 2011

New wheels

Well, Sara's replacement flight did leave on time and yes she did arrive safe and sound in NJ. So it's just me a Sprocket on the home front.

In the past weeks we sold our Suzuki no-ground-clearance car and acquired a replacement. Finding a replacement was not easy, because our requirements were that it be a pickup with an extended cab, 4 cylinder engine, 2 wheel drive, standard transmission, and average 25 mpgs or better.  We were looking at maybe a Ford, Mazda, or Nissan (Toyota was just out of our price range).

After ~30 phone calls and an eye-bleeding amount of Craigslist ads we found two.  It seems everyone got the V6 engine that gets 18 mpg, and I guess that's good for them. We found a 1999 Ford Ranger that fit the bill in Kyle, TX -- just south of Austin and 500 miles away from us. So knowing there were no other options we left that night and got there at 9 am the next day.

We meet our seller Armando at a Conoco station. The truck looked and drove as represented and with 130 K on the clock she's just broken in! We struck a deal for $550 less than asking price, and viola! We headed back happy as clams.

99 Ford Ranger The new pickup should serve us well and I am currently going throught it and servicing everything. Pretty amazing condition overall; it looks like someone kept this one out of the TX sun.

Must get some sleep; thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. Sweet Ride. Looks from this pic in pretty good condition. Congratz and hope it serves you well. and Casey thanx for writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even I have a Ford Ranger and it looks exactly like the pickup truck in the picture.For a minute I thought what my pickup is doing here.But when I read the article I found myself on the wrong road.Yes you are right Ford ranger is one of the best pickup truck and I really feel proud to have it.I hope even you will feel the same.By the way congratulations at the end you got what you deserve.And have a nice time with it.

    ReplyDelete