Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tires a tiring scenario

Our truck has never had the right tires on it since we have been here and I have completely eaten through two sets on these dirt roads. For the third set I thought I would try something different than a car tire, I needed a light truck tire, but since I have 14" wheels that is not an option. So I needed 15" wheels and tires and after a lot of research and money I ordered tires and wheels through the mail.

I had everything on hand last Friday and proceeded to mount the tires on the wheels Saturday.  Getting them mounted was easy, but getting them seated/inflated on the bead was impossible with a small air compressor. As far as I could see it, I had two options: give up and bring it to a shop on Monday; or use the last-resort, ether-explosion method.

Being a DIYer I chose the explosive technique but I couldn't make that work either.  Phil discovered that the technique seemed to work best if the tire was vertical, sitting on the tread. So we attempted to mount all four tires that way, with ether and a spark. 

It worked!

The tire upgrade is working out fantastically, and I have been all over the Ranch this past week running service calls. Our automotive repair business has been busy, and I always love figuring out the correct diagnosis and how to fix things.

It also seems to be solar power season!  We completed an install this week and have 3 or 4 more coming up. 

Well that's it for now -- I will add some photos soon but until then I am getting some Zs.   

1 comment:

  1. My grandfather taught me to wrap a rope around the tred and then twist it with a metal bar. This crunches the middle down buy pushes the bead outward. ? ? ?

    ReplyDelete