Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

The past few days have been sunny and clear so we were able to get some outdoor projects done. We raised our clothesline and for the first time we got some use out of the ranch facilities when we used the laundromat. The ranch started to slowly re-open about four weeks ago and I believe the pool should be open soon!
IMG_0815.JPG
Also, after having some time living with the new satellite dish, we have decided that there needs to be an antithetical label to that of the Energy Star rating.  We think there should be a sticker on items (like our satellite) depicting an Energy Hog, to show the prospective buyer clearly that the item in question wastes electricity. To that end, we submit the following logo:
energyhog.jpgToday I was able to visit our local solar/wind energy salesperson, Ron, who is ordering a pallet of solar panels.  We are ordering a ~180 watt solar electric panel which will more than quadruple our current PV input. I also ran the Onan generator so I could get some extra power, which I needed to weld together the wind turbine mount.

We are planning to drive to Odessa/Midland this weekend and haul back some larger items. Once we dismantle the most of the gasifier and free up room on the trailer (the Onan itself is too heavy and cumbersome to remove, so it will stay on the trailer during the trip) we will drive it up and buy a chest freezer. The freezer we will leave on low and use more like a refrigerator; we are getting a little tired of living out of coolers and buying bag after bag of ice.



6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the accuracy in advertising snafu. It's also good to hear you are back and back at work. Package will be in the mail for you Sara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys I'm curious to know what kind of speed you are getting with your satellite internet connection? Any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    Very impressed with your plans and accomplishments so far. Looks very rewarding.
    I wanted to ask about your solar panels though(Excuse me if this has been documented, I just found your site tonight, and have only read a portion so far). I saw your small array in one picture, I have to assume they are all 12 volt, wired parallel. Is your new 180 panel 12 volts as well? Most panels of that size I've seen are 24 volts. It won't be a mismatch of voltages will it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are getting 1.3 mb Download and .12 upload
    I hear you don't even get that with many dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new panel will have a similar voltage. 18 volts vs. 20 volts of the amorphous panels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reply. Interesting to see a high wattage panel with a lower voltage rating like that.
    If you're interested in any comments, advice, or input on your solar system, feel free to email me(I assume you can see my email from my reg info). I work at a small outfit that has been helping people design, implement, and troubleshoot solar/hydro/wind systems for 30+ years. Most of my co-workers have off-the-grid homes, which provides a large body of first-hand knowledge to learn from. I'm slowly building up my own acreage as well.
    You obviously have a plan and know what you're doing, but I saw a comment that the solar stuff was a bit of a grey area for you. I'd be glad to help if you want some input(no plan to shill my company).

    ReplyDelete